Getting Back to Work
It was time to get back at it today. There was a respite of the rain, and it’s starting to look like there might be again tomorrow, which would be great, because I didn’t get to finish as much as I would have liked to do today.
I made some progress with the DRP, and even started moving forward again with the Silver bike, but was only able to start some diagnostics with it. You can read about that in the Red Power thread.
With this bike I started off with the new bore scope. Thankfully it worked! From the wash it’s clear that the bike had still been running rich.
There was no carbon to be seen anywhere. Not even in the exhaust port. I wonder how much of this is due to running the cleaner oils. Still there should have been some sort of build up with all the riding I did with these settings.
The plug still looked okay. Maybe a little on the rich side.
The next thing to work on was the timing. The first photo is where it was previously, the second was the second change, and where it is currently. I intentionally went too far with the first change, which is the third photo, to give me a reading of what it would be like, then I reverted back towards where it started out. Ultimately I added just a little bit more advance.
From these tests it became fairly obvious that I wasn’t likely to solve the hesitation/sputtering with just a timing change. The changes don’t look like a lot of movement, but for timing adjustments they are quite a bit.
The first adjustment was nearly unrideable. The second one brought the bike back to ridable, but still didn’t get the bike running like it should.
I thought I saw major scoring on the exhaust bridge, but that was really just a reflection of the piston. Moving the piston up and down elucidated this discovery.
Anyway, with the timing change things didn’t look all that different, so it was time to adjust the carburetor.
Needles and Clips
I decided to try moving the needle down one notch to see if I could take out some of the mid throttle richness. I did a short test run up and down the street.
There was still a slight hesitation, but I think it’s ready for a longer test. Based on that I’ll have more information with which to decide what to do next.
It’s a bit crazy, but on this bike with this carb it’s actually more complicated, and difficult to move the clip on the needle, than to change the main jet. Changing the pilot jet would be probably somewhere in-between.
I also noticed that the rear sets were loose. With these fresh built bikes one has to be vigilant with inspections. That’s one of the benefits to regularly cleaning the bike—you find these sorts of issues before they cause real trouble.
The Ultimate Coverup
When it came time to wrap things up for the night I put on the new Nuzari cover. It’s truly amazing between the cover that’s been out there for a year or so. They don’t even look like the same cover.