Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi GPR 50R

Post by toratora » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 pm

https://www.cycleworld.com/derbi-gpr-50r-mini-sportbike
Mark Hoyer wrote:From the February 2000 issue December 30, 2016

Spain’s Derbi (it stands for DERivative of BIcycles) has a rich racing history that includes numerous 50cc roadracing World Championships. Here, CW ad man Andy Leisner, former 250 GP pilot and all of 5-foot-7, 140 pounds, assumes the speed-tuck position.
Jeff Allen

The downside of riding this GPR 50R is that I was acting like a freak and looking like a Shriner. The upside is that I was having so much fun I didn’t care. The pair of little 245-pound two-strokes sent to us by importers Cosmopolitan Motors brought out the unlicensed 15-year-old in me. “Cool transpo’, dude!”

In some states, they’d be considered mopeds, yet these were more like mini sportbikes. Light, simple, yet really trick little pocket-rockets with features you just wouldn’t expect from a $2950 “moped.” Such as: twin-spar steel frame; Showa inverted fork; rising-rate-linked Showa monoshock; front and rear disc brakes with braided-steel lines; full fairing; oil-injection; electric start; and six-speed transmission. Except that, as 50cc two-strokes, they were likely to be slower than a Sports Editor on deadline. Still, I found them irresistible, and glommed onto one forthwith.
► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Little Red Rocket: GPR50 Test Ride

Post by toratora » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 pm

ImageImage
http://www.motorgirl.com/words/redrocket.htm
Lesley Gering wrote:2002

Okay.

So, I’ve been asked to test ride the GPR 50 Derbi Replica brought over from Barcelona via Crono Motorcraft. This bike is very unusual. A small superbike replica – two strokes, 49cc. I have no real reference to compare this bike to…except for the 50cc Arctic Cat I rode when I was a kid.

This is going to be a tough gig.

Crono motorcraft is targeting their market at the 2-stroke aficionados, beginner sport bike riders, female sports bike riders, and anyone else with a fancy for a truly unique bike. Unique all right. I’ll try to keep an open mind.

My open mind stalls for just a second.

I need more information. I go to the Crono Motorcraft web site and check out the R1 GPR specs. Cool. Okay, my open mind is warming up. I can appreciate this replica version of the 125CC Grand Prix Superbike. An interesting idea. Plus, it’s amazing we’re only talking a 50 cc machine. I scan further down the spec list. Obviously, the GPR weighing in at 90 kg. is extremely light compared to the real superbikes. Hopefully with the lighter weight comes better maneuverability. We’ll see. I also notice its utilizing good quality components… Kell’orto, Wever, Domino, CEV, Showa, Tri.O.M, etc. Plus, Derbi itself (est. 1922) is a name that packs a punch both on the race circuit and on the road. Hmmm… this little test ride is looking better and better.
► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi GPR 50 and 125 | Euro Preview

Post by toratora » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:39 pm

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2010/1 ... o-preview/
Ron Lieback wrote:October 20, 2010

Derbi Motorcycles

Whenever I’m in Spain I find myself ogling the really cool mini roadrace motorcycles racing in and out of traffic.

Youthful displays of speed and daring on motorcycles are as much a part of the Spanish culture as cigarettes and long siestas.

The ever-present scent of two-stroke exhaust and the sound of diminutive motors tapped at full throttle are imbedded in the Spanish psyche, leaving little wonder how the region has managed to produce such top caliber racers as Dani Pedrosa, Jorge Lorenzo, and Carlos Checa.

The leading manufacturer of these fully faired pint-sized motorcycles is Barcelona-based Derbi, which owns a significant portion of the small displacement motorcycles so essential to the Spanish way of life; whether you’re talking functional transportation or stylish sporting fun.

Derbi has garnered 19 125cc World Championships in a storied history devoted entirely to small displacement development.

Transforming that rich racing legacy into street legal application are the Derbi GPR 50 (2-stroke) and the GPR 125 (4-stroke).
► Show Spoiler
0 x