Announce and discuss ride events.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen

Post by toratora » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:39 pm

Nineteen Nineteenth GPR Camp’s annual ride celebrating ロブのたんじょうび. Come on out for our first ride of 2019. Enjoy the fresh aroma emanating from the little strokers as we zip through the hills of twisty mountain roads. There’s nothing like that first ride, and no better way to start off a great year.

This will be a decently paced ride so prep the bikes, lube up the chains, update the registrations, check the tires, and get that riding gear ready. Smaller (50~85cc) two stroke replicas like the Derbi GPR, and the Aprilia RS50 are very much encouraged. Fast mopeds (make sure your brakes work!), Scooters, Groms and such are okay!

Tentatively We’ll meet up and gas up at the Chevron on Daly City Blvd., Saturday January 19th at ~9:30am, KSU at 10:00pm.

There will be gas stops for the bikes that guzzle. Lunch will take place at the Red Pearl.

If you are looking for a Replica Racer check out the foro, and let’s find one for you. If you still haven’t gotten your Replica Racer ready lets get on that, we can help you!

Route—this is the first part of the route. The second part will be shorter, but include roads you won’t want to miss including my favorite 236 Big Basin!!
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Clear Skies

Post by toratora » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:39 am

The weather man is calling for clear skies on Saturday. I should have the route posted fairly soon. I’ve been waiting of information about open roads, and such to put the final route together. With all this rain and what not it has been a bit precarious! :scream_cat:
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Matemasu

Post by toratora » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Hey Cat's too many people had things come up this weekend so we are going to postpone the ride, and let the roads dry up a bit. More information to follow. :scream_cat:
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Reschedule!! Sunday May 19th, 2019

Post by toratora » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:39 am

We’ve rescheduled the Nineteen Nineteen ride to Sunday May 19th (the next 19th occurring during a weekend this year). Here is the updated information. The route I have planned is one that I’ve been working on for over a decade. Years of riding through these hills going on group rides with mopeds, scooters, Replicas, SFMC, Doc Wong, and others have taught me some amazing routes which we’ll be enjoying as we celebrate the Nineteen Nineteen.

Nineteen Nineteen GPR Camp’s annual ride celebrating ロブのたんじょうび. Come on out for our first ride of 2019. Enjoy the fresh aroma emanating from the little strokers as we zip through the hills of twisty mountain roads. There’s nothing like that first ride, and no better way to start off a great year.

This will be a decently paced ride so prep the bikes, lube up the chains, update the registrations, check the tires, and get that riding gear ready. Smaller (50~85cc) two stroke replicas like the Derbi GPR, and the Aprilia RS50 are very much encouraged. Fast mopeds (make sure your brakes work!), Scooters, Groms and such are okay!

We’ll meet up and gas up at the Chevron on Daly City Blvd., Sunday May 19th at ~9:30am, KSU at 10:00pm.

There will be gas stops for the bikes that guzzle. Lunch will take place at the Red Pearl.

If you are looking for a Replica Racer check out the foro, and let’s find one for you. If you still haven’t gotten your Replica Racer ready lets get on that, we can help you!

Route—this is the first part of the route. The second part will be shorter, but include roads you won’t want to miss including my favorite 236 Big Basin!!
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Just Four More Days!!

Post by toratora » Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Just Four More Days!!
3 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Rain!! Ride Postponed, Again!!

Post by toratora » Fri May 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Due to the high likelihood of rain we will have to postpone the ride (again). The reschedule will be Saturday October 19th. :paw_prints:
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Reschedule!! Saturday October 19th, 2019

Post by toratora » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:08 pm

We’ve rescheduled the Nineteen Nineteen ride to Saturday October 19th (the only other 19th occurring during a weekend this year). Here is the updated information. The route I have planned is one that I’ve been working on for over a decade. Years of riding through these hills going on group rides with mopeds, scooters, Replicas, SFMC, Doc Wong, and others have taught me some amazing routes which we’ll be enjoying as we celebrate the Nineteen Nineteen.

Nineteen Nineteen GPR Camp’s annual ride celebrating ロブのたんじょうび. Come on out for our first ride of 2019. Enjoy the fresh aroma emanating from the little strokers as we zip through the hills of twisty mountain roads. There’s nothing like that first ride, and no better way to start off a great year.

We’ll meet up and gas up at the Chevron on Daly City Blvd., Saturday October 19th at ~9:30am, KSU at 10:00pm.

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Nineteen Nineteen: Ride Report

Post by toratora » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:39 am

After much delay and what seemed like an insurmountable attempt Nineteen Nineteen proved to be quite an adventure. Lots of super fun roads today including Tunitas, Kings, 1, 9, 35, 84, 236, Smiths, Gazos, Pescadero, Bonny Dune, Empire, and more. Massive twisty action. We also stopped in Bolder Creek to lunch at the Red Pearl where Jenny served us some awesome food.

On my way out of town I made a quick pitstop to say hi to Kent at the Moto Garage. He couldn’t make the ride due to having to keep the shop open.

We met up at the Daly City Chevron and Burger King. I chose pump #9 as we would be riding The Nine.

From Daly City we rode down 1 turning in at Tunitas. We made a quick pitstop at Tunitas and Lobitos for a couple of photos.

From the top of Tunitas we headed down Kings. There were a some bicyclists out, but fewer than usual, however, lots of SUVs where all over Tunitas. Thankfully the road road was dry and relatively clear of debris. This time of year Tunitas can get quite dirty.

From Kings we jumped on 84 which took us up to STP. We saw Joker Rio hanging out, but he wasn’t on a bike time. Always fun to see him though. I hope we can go riding again as he knows these roads amazingly well. There were a few bikes up at STP today, and the folks were jazzed to see some two stokes, but the rider population seemed to be pretty low. On a nice day like this the parking lot should have been teaming with bikes. Where is everyone?

Then it was down the west side of 84 which was full of Audis and SUVs with clueless drivers. Soon enough though we were on Pescadero. Usually I ride this rode from west to east, but today were were riding it down hill. This presented new challenges, and a more novel experience of a very fun road. I highly recommend Pescadero as it is one of the better rides in this area.

We connected from there with Butano to Cloverdale where we met with more SUV action. As we entered Gazos from Cloverdale there was a sign warning bicyclists not to enter. I found this humorous as supposedly they were the reason why Gazos had been reconditioned a fews ago. It use to be one of Doc Wong’s torture roads. After the repairs it became a Replica delight. Sadly Cloverdale and Gazos have just been treated to fresh chip-seal. There was a lot of gravel—the traction through Gazos was pretty good, but nowhere near what it had been just a few weeks ago. The chip seal was disappointing, although we were still able enjoy Gazos due to the unique curves it presents following the creek bed.

From Gazos we headed down HWY 1 again past Davenport to Bonny Dune. We turned down Smiths which true to form still has the gnarly invisible bumps that launch you out of the seat. We both suffered some abuse via this road. From Smiths we connected to Empire. The bikes seemed to have a hard time climbing up Empire—which is one heck of a grade. Even with the struggle before we knew it we were riding past the Christmas Tree farm, and ready for Jamison.

I don’t know what it is about Jamison, but it just destroys the brakes on my little bikes. The Mito is sadly in need of a new front disc so I took it easy with it, and employed more rear brake this time. Which unsurprisingly went soft, but at least I didn’t lose the front. At the bottom of Jamison we were down to 236 which we rode into Bolder Creek arriving at the Red Pearl.

I hadn’t had any breakfast so by this time I was famished. The food that Jenny offers at the Red Pearl is delightful, and great for riding. I should have snapped a shot of it before we began to eat, but I only remembered by the time I was nearly finish. Apologies! As should be obvious my Chinese sign is that of the Tiger, and Calvin, well he’s a Monkey!

We left Bolder Creek, and headed up 236—which is the jewel of the Santa Cruz Mountains. I’ve yet to ride the Dragon, but the 8 miles of twisties through Big Basin have to be right up there. The curves are rather tight so that puts off some folks on the bigger bikes, but for the Replicas this is Heaven on Earth. I still don’t understand why this road isn’t crawling with youngsters and their bikes every weekend like the biker boom videos out of Japan.

At the top of 236 it pops out back at The Nine. There has been a fair amount of repaving going on with 9, and it is again a dreamy experience. These curves, and twists are renown and revered in the Bay Area. At the top Nine intersects with 35 via Four Corners where we headed north.

On our way out we made a quick stop at STP again. Then it was up 35 which turned into very heavy fog all the way up to 92. Eventually we’d escape the fog by jumping onto 280 for the ride home.

Not quite ready to end the day I took the time to visit Jeff—I didn’t find him at his shop, because he was hanging at the cafe down the street. He too would have liked to join the ride, but had to work. A running theme for lots of folks today. Still we had a nice chat while he enjoyed some his chai, and I some Gator-Aid. The bikes did really well, and there were some challenges to keep the day interesting adding to the fun. Every time I go on one of these rides I think about how ee are so very lucky to live in an area with such fine riding for the Replicas. :paw_prints:
2 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Re: Nineteen Nineteen

Post by jkv357 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:05 am

Nice ride report Rob.

Really like your Mito, and that NSR looks sweet too!

How do the two bikes compare?

Convince your NSR-buddy to get some good gear (like you have).
0 x

scottydog

Re: Nineteen Nineteen

Post by scottydog » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Wow Rob you got a buddy with an NSR150sp! How did the two bikes compare in terms of performance?
0 x