How to's for Replica Racers
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi Euro2 Clutch Spring Upgrade

Post by toratora » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm

When the engine has been upgraded to output more power it is a good idea to upgrade the clutch springs, in order to keep the clutch from slipping with the extra power. There are a number of companies providing these springs, one of which is Malossi, and you can order these from Treats. Treats also carries the Malossi clutch springs for the AM6. In this tutorial I employed the springs from Calimari. In the early 2000's they were a major supplier for performance upgrades.

For the procedure steps to this part check out the water pump revision post.

Remove the five philips screws. They can take a bit of a quick turn to break them free. I usually employ an impact driver to free them up.

At this point I could have just swapped out the springs, however since they had been slipping for a bit I wanted to inspect the discs, and to do that you have to remove the cover/pressure plate.

The material discs were in decent shape as can be seen here in that the wear indicator is still in good shape (the A like thing).

The metal discs however did show some heat scoring.

The Calimari performance spring vs the stock spring. It is not only longer it is also stiffer–a lot more so.

Filling up the clutch basket. It's important to put things back in the same order as mating surfaces develop a bedding for each other. I didn't notice any coating on the metal discs so I took a bit of emery cloth to them to remove some of the heat build up.

The next point of interest is this mark on the basket.

When you place the face plate on the basket line up the Derbi logo with the mark on the basket.

One thing different about the newer engines is that there are fewer alan bolts and more traditional hex bolts. This case is fastened by 8mm head hex bolts.

1 x

Jaxx

Re: Derbi Euro2 Clutch Spring Upgrade

Post by Jaxx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 am

Do you need to replace clutch cover gasket every time you open it, or you can use the old one?
0 x

toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi Euro2 Clutch Spring Upgrade: Reuse

Post by toratora » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm

If the gasket is still in good shape you can reuse it. If it tears then you should replace it. They are inexpensive. :paw_prints:
0 x