How to's for Replica Racers
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Standing Out with a Derbi GPR, or Senda

Post by toratora » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:39 pm

One rather annoying, although clever, feature of the GPR is the auto up side stand. It is actually quite easy to disable this feature, however once removed it isn't easy to reestablish it without obtaining a new side stand bolt, or possibly welding a new nub on to the bolt.

Here's the stock set up with the side stand in the up position.

The design is such that the spring is attached to a lever that intersects with a nub on the end of the side stand bolt. This keeps the side stand from locking into the down position.

Here is what the bolt looks like in position.

The bolt off the bike.

The bolt with the nub removed.

The removed nub.

The side stand in the down position. The only thing here is that the spring is slightly too loose. It still functions normally so this shouldn't be an issue.

The back side of the stand with the spring lever clearing the bolt allowing the side stand to stay in the down position.

The side stand in the up position as usual, even after the nub removal.

f4fntm wrote:Interesting; I did not know GPR50s had this feature.
I believe it has to do with the bike being marketed to new riders that might forget to put the stand up—hell I'm guilty of doing it even somewhat recently. For many reasons including the ones you've listed i decided to rid that feature from the Black bike—which while it doesn't look like it, is cleaned with a much higher frequency than any of Ari's bikes.
FriscoMotorWerks wrote:I'm glad you chopped that nub off. That's one thing that always bothered me about the Derbi's although I do see the purpose of it for newer riders. I made sure to chop mine off the Senda!
1 x