Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra CX65 Mini Moto

Post by toratora » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

I've been talking about these bikes for quite a while—an American made two stroke! Yes you can actually buy a brand new two stroke motorcycle made in the States. Currently they only make dirt bikes, but I really hope they start making circuit bikes, and this is one of my motivations for getting a Cobra over the other options. One of the trends at the track is to take a 65cc dirt bike and set them up for Mini Moto. Most folks get a KX65, but some do get the 65SX. Both are nice bikes. The KX is generally less money, and the KTM is more, but I didn't want to go with either one since there was an even better option!

The Cobra CX65
Cobra started in 1993 and are based in Michigan. They are focused mainly on race ready PeeWee moto crossers. They basically build a works bike that can run in the stock class. Because they already come with all the bling they have a huge advantage over the Japanese and Euro bikes. For those bikes if you set them up with the same gear they wouldn't be stock, and thus would have to race in a different class. For this reason Cobra just totally dominates the PeeWee classes from entry level 50cc to 65cc.

These bikes are truly amazing with custom parts everywhere. Even the frame is made of custom high carbon steal rolled into oval tubes specifically for Cobra. The cases look like they are billet. The bike is incredibly fast—and I may have to detune it for the KSB drills that I want to run. Still it is an awesome bike that's way better than the competition—and yes Virgina it has a power valve. ;)

The one I picked up is a 2013 model. It raced for about three seasons, and won quite a few races. :) I'll need to do a bunch of set up on it, and replace a few parts here and there. I also intend to get some sliders, and change out the wheels. I may lace up some proper sized rims to the stock hubs, or I may just get some mags for it. I'd like to get the mags because then I don't have to deal with tubes. lolz The Mini Moto guys have worked out most of the mods for the other brands so it's just a matter of adapting the knowledge.

The Micky Dee's color combo is a bit off putting, but they do sell the plastics in all black, or all white, and I'm quite grateful for that option. lolz Yes, I will take fries with that...

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: American Two Stroke

Post by toratora » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Some bits showed up today. :P

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Re: Cobra CX65 Mini Moto

Post by toratora » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Wolfman wrote:Is this for GPR camp ?
These parts are for the Cobra, which I'm setting up for doing drills, but will also have a mode (by doing a carb change) to take out on the kart track. It's a really fast bike, so I need to restrict it for doing drills. But on the track having moarrr powaaa is well, fun. ;)

I'm probably going to bring the Cobra to the camp site though since there's a huge parking lot, and a long private driveway. I'm really looking forward to having some fun there.

I do have, and will be ordering more bits for the GPRs. I think lots of folks are doing EasyParts, and MaxiScoot orders. Another good one is Scoot Fast (like in the previous post). They have a bunch of neat bits I've not seen on the other sites.

Oh and Easy just did a facelift on their site!
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: Centimetering towards a ridable bike

Post by toratora » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Please note: I cannot support K and J Racing as Kevin, the owner, is not a responsible man. He sent me damaged goods, and pretended that he would do something about it, but never made good on his promises. He always blamed his suppliers for which he claimed to be in business with, which it turns out according to them they are not. This means that if you buy sometime from Kevin then it is not considered a new product, but rather used goods with no warranty. This is a deceitful practice. I am personally out hundreds of dollars, and a lot of time trying to deal with Kevin.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: Wheels and Things

Post by toratora » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:39 pm

After some cleaning the hub was ready to lace up. The directions for lacing the wheels were pretty interest, and figured some of you might like to read them. The bummer came when I started to true them up, and discovered that the spoke wrench doesn't fit the new nipples. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Gotta get another wrench. :/

Still it's going to be sexy when it all comes together. :)

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: Suspension Day

Post by toratora » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Today was remove the suspension from the bike day. I'm getting custom springs, and the forks are going to have lots of new bits put in. Seals, and bushings, and such. To remove the shock I ended up taking all the plastics off. Those are getting replaced anyway, and since it would make it easier to remove the shock why not? lolz

I also removed the rear wheel, and then proceeded to remove the hub. The spokes with the kit are of different sizes, so I need to check on that before going forward. The stock spokes are all the same size.

The steering bumpers seem to be missing! Have to look into that one.

The rear hub is one sexy piece of art. Reminds me of some of the BMX hubs we use to sport.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: Getting a Grip

Post by toratora » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm considering running the Cobra in two modes. Drills mode, and track mode. The only real difference will be the carburetor fitted to the bike. For the drills very little power is needed, but on the track it would be nice to access that power. The idea is to set up low power mode with one of the 17.5 PHVA carbs I have laying around from the GPRs. If it's too much I could even use a 14mm PHVA.

One of the issues to solve with this plan is dealing with the different pull lengths of the cable. The 26mm carb will need more pull athan the smaller carbs. ODI makes a motocross grip set that comes with a throttle tube. This tube has removable cams. The grips come with three cams, and there are others that can be purchased too. Simply by swapping cams the amount of twist on the grip will remain the same, but the pull length will be adjusted for each carb.

Another neat feature is the left hand doesn't require any glue or wackiness for installations. It has a locking mechanism that allows it to be attached to the bar. There are also many color combinations, and some various grip styles. Near as I can tell they are all closed ended so if the bike has bark busters, or bar ends the ends of the grips will have to be opened to accommodate.

Now for the good reader paying attention this system's advantages come to light in that most of the 1/4 turn throttles out there pull way too much for the tiny carbs run on the Replicas. Swap out this throttle tube, and select an appropriate cam, and you can have a 1/4 pull throttle that actually turns a full 1/4!

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: Catching up with the photos

Post by toratora » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Laced up the rear wheel. Still waiting on the proper spoke wrench to finish these up. The one that came with the kits is too large, and rounds out the nipples. :(

The suspension is next. It's all coming together with this one--slowly, but it's on the way.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra: The Case of the Nipple Strip

Post by toratora » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:39 pm

The wrench that came with the rims and spokes was rounding out the new nipples. Here's why:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Cobra CX65 Mini Moto: Red Wheels

Post by toratora » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:39 pm

Let’s all hope this means something awesome this way comes. :paw_prints:
1 x