Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Cleaning

Post by toratora » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Was a lot of cleaning effort today. Did a few other little things, and started the Mito too. I had to replace the top part of the fuel line. It had gotten too hard. It was a bitch getting the new hose to fit over the tank outlet, but eventually with some heat, and a lot of elbow grease it was accomplished. Lots more little things to attend, but at least the bike is on the path. :paw_prints:

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Little Progress and a Test Ride!

Post by toratora » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Two Strokes and Beyond!

Made a bit more progress today. Was able to get the chain lubed, and adjusted. Sponged out the brake fluid in the front res, and poured in fresh stuff. Pumped up the tires. And got the skirts in place. I need to find the side fills.

On the test ride some interesting things happened. I did feel some brake fade a couple of times, and when it got dark the electrics all went to shit. I had to ride home with no lights in the dark. Total Ninja mode desu.

Another issue is it his getting stuck at 5K RPM for a while. There’s probably an air leak. I’m guessing at the seal between the reeds and the intake manifold.

Unfortunately a number of my photos today were too soft so the steps of installing the skirts are missing. Yes those are 1/4 turn fittings. I had trouble with some of them, and one I couldn’t get to seat.

On the way to Carl’s Jr. to get a Beyond burger I stopped at RD’s place. He had his sport bikes outside to soak up the salty fog.

And the part you all want to know: yes this bike is a total fucking blast to ride. Once I have it sorted, and can trust it again I’m going to have fantastic fun on this bike. It sits a lot lower than the 899, and the legs have less room. I found shifting to be a little tight too. Still super fun to ride. There are goods reasons why the Mito is legendary. :paw_prints:

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Ride with a Native American Day II

Post by toratora » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Even though this is a national holiday everyone had to work making this a solo adventure. Still here are lots of fun SF photos with the Mito for your enjoyment.

Stopped into say hi to Kent at the Moto Garage. He had never seen a Mito before! The headed down Brotherhood way.

There’s a fun test route I like around Lake Merced that brings me to the LBS where I checked in on Jeff. He was MIA.

Right by Jeff’s shop there is a gas station. The price was 4 Miku!! :heart:

I was heading up to Twin Peaks and stoped at CCSF at the spot where I met GX.

Not the typical Twin Peaks shot, but still a favorite of mine.

Another view from the same location.

I was headed towards the Presidio, but I stopped in the Height for a quick photo.

On many of our rides we stop at Gear and Arguello to gas up. Seemed like a nice opportunity to grab a shot.

In the Presidio there’s this little section where you can get a view of from the new over pass. I was just about to grab the shot when Officer Friendly informed me that I couldn’t be there. I moved down the road a bit, but the shot didn’t exist there.

Not really the best location for a shot of Alcatraz, but you can see it off in the distance.

A nice look out spot of the Golden Gate Bridge from within the park.

I was taking this shot when a friendly photographer person asked if I’d like a photo of me with the bike. I said sure!

There are a couple of nice look out points on the north side of the Presidio. I’ve taken a lot of photos in these locations over there years.

There are some fun twisties in the Presidio, but you never stop to take photos of them. It’s too much fun to ride. However, there is a stop sign at one end where you can get a shot.

The road to the Legion of Honor was closed, but I really wanted that fountain shot, so I circled back around to get it. Yes I did two rings around the fountain—you have to do it!

The sun was in the wrong position to get a photo of the Ocean at Lands End, so I grabbed one of the trees.

At the parking lot entrance I went for an Ocean view shot. Sort of blown out.

Another one near Lands End that didn’t come out so well. ¯ \_(ツ)_/¯

It is difficult to get a good shot of the windmill with the bike, still you’ve got to go for it.

After the windmill it was some pleasant riding through the Golden Gate Park, then down Sunset, and Lake Merced again. So much fun on the Mito. It may look like I wasn’t on the bike much, but I actually logged ~65 clicks, and enjoyed a many of the fun SF roads. Sure I still missed quite a few, but that’s okay. I’ll get to pick those up on another ride. I expected that there was going to be a lot of traffic, however the Mito appears to be immune to it. This moto flows so effortlessly around everything. What a joy it is to ride San Francisco with this bike. :paw_prints:
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Alma Mater

Post by toratora » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:39 pm

A quick visit to CCSF to see one of my mentors. Then a visit with Jeff, and a quick stop at the Tarjé. :paw_prints:

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Doughnut Master

Post by toratora » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 pm

I got a hankering for a doughnut, and where else would I go but the Krispy master of Kream? They had some special Halloween options. They look way better than they taste, which was a little disappointing. I also went over to the In & Out for a grilled cheese. :paw_prints:

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Tani’s Kitchen

Post by toratora » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 pm

One of the neatest little restaurants in the Bay Area is Tani’s Kitchen in Daly City. I use to go here quite regularly, but haven’t been there for years. I went to visit them for some yummy food on Friday, but they were super busy so I only picked up this photo. On the way over there I stoped at the Moto Garage to say hi to Kent. :paw_prints:

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Nineteen Nineteen—Ride Report

Post by toratora » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 am

After much delay and what seemed like an insurmountable attempt Nineteen Nineteen proved to be quite an adventure. Lots of super fun roads today including Tunitas, Kings, 1, 9, 35, 84, 236, Smiths, Gazos, Pescadero, Bonny Dune, Empire, and more. Massive twisty action. We also stopped in Bolder Creek to lunch at the Red Pearl where Jenny served us some awesome food.

On my way out of town I made a quick pitstop to say hi to Kent at the Moto Garage. He couldn’t make the ride due to having to keep the shop open.

We met up at the Daly City Chevron and Burger King. I chose pump #9 as we would be riding The Nine.

From Daly City we rode down 1 turning in at Tunitas. We made a quick pitstop at Tunitas and Lobitos for a couple of photos.

From the top of Tunitas we headed down Kings. There were a some bicyclists out, but fewer than usual, however, lots of SUVs where all over Tunitas. Thankfully the road road was dry and relatively clear of debris. This time of year Tunitas can get quite dirty.

From Kings we jumped on 84 which took us up to STP. We saw Joker Rio hanging out, but he wasn’t on a bike time. Always fun to see him though. I hope we can go riding again as he knows these roads amazingly well. There were a few bikes up at STP today, and the folks were jazzed to see some two stokes, but the rider population seemed to be pretty low. On a nice day like this the parking lot should have been teaming with bikes. Where is everyone?

Then it was down the west side of 84 which was full of Audis and SUVs with clueless drivers. Soon enough though we were on Pescadero. Usually I ride this rode from west to east, but today were were riding it down hill. This presented new challenges, and a more novel experience of a very fun road. I highly recommend Pescadero as it is one of the better rides in this area.

We connected from there with Butano to Cloverdale where we met with more SUV action. As we entered Gazos from Cloverdale there was a sign warning bicyclists not to enter. I found this humorous as supposedly they were the reason why Gazos had been reconditioned a fews ago. It use to be one of Doc Wong’s torture roads. After the repairs it became a Replica delight. Sadly Cloverdale and Gazos have just been treated to fresh chip-seal. There was a lot of gravel—the traction through Gazos was pretty good, but nowhere near what it had been just a few weeks ago. The chip seal was disappointing, although we were still able enjoy Gazos due to the unique curves it presents following the creek bed.

From Gazos we headed down HWY 1 again past Davenport to Bonny Dune. We turned down Smiths which true to form still has the gnarly invisible bumps that launch you out of the seat. We both suffered some abuse via this road. From Smiths we connected to Empire. The bikes seemed to have a hard time climbing up Empire—which is one heck of a grade. Even with the struggle before we knew it we were riding past the Christmas Tree farm, and ready for Jamison.

I don’t know what it is about Jamison, but it just destroys the brakes on my little bikes. The Mito is sadly in need of a new front disc so I took it easy with it, and employed more rear brake this time. Which unsurprisingly went soft, but at least I didn’t lose the front. At the bottom of Jamison we were down to 236 which we rode into Bolder Creek arriving at the Red Pearl.

I hadn’t had any breakfast so by this time I was famished. The food that Jenny offers at the Red Pearl is delightful, and great for riding. I should have snapped a shot of it before we began to eat, but I only remembered by the time I was nearly finish. Apologies! As should be obvious my Chinese sign is that of the Tiger, and Calvin, well he’s a Monkey!

We left Bolder Creek, and headed up 236—which is the jewel of the Santa Cruz Mountains. I’ve yet to ride the Dragon, but the 8 miles of twisties through Big Basin have to be right up there. The curves are rather tight so that puts off some folks on the bigger bikes, but for the Replicas this is Heaven on Earth. I still don’t understand why this road isn’t crawling with youngsters and their bikes every weekend like the biker boom videos out of Japan.

At the top of 236 it pops out back at The Nine. There has been a fair amount of repaving going on with 9, and it is again a dreamy experience. These curves, and twists are renown and revered in the Bay Area. At the top Nine intersects with 35 via Four Corners where we headed north.

On our way out we made a quick stop at STP again. Then it was up 35 which turned into very heavy fog all the way up to 92. Eventually we’d escape the fog by jumping onto 280 for the ride home.

Not quite ready to end the day I took the time to visit Jeff—I didn’t find him at his shop, because he was hanging at the cafe down the street. He too would have liked to join the ride, but had to work. A running theme for lots of folks today. Still we had a nice chat while he enjoyed some his chai, and I some Gator-Aid. The bikes did really well, and there were some challenges to keep the day interesting adding to the fun. Every time I go on one of these rides I think about how ee are so very lucky to live in an area with such fine riding for the Replicas. :paw_prints:
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Golden Era

Post by toratora » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 pm

I went to the D-Store today to watch the GP race. After which I headed over to Golden Era for some curry. They recently moved to a new location which is quite nice even if it did lose some of the charm of their previous location. Food is still great. :paw_prints:

Yes this is at the D-Store
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Elf has Acquired Emancipation

Post by toratora » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Elf has acquired emancipation :paw_prints:
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Hisashiburi

Post by toratora » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:39 pm

It’s been roughly two and a half years since I’ve ridden the Mito. Like most of the bikes it has been in storage. Recently I pulled it out of storage, but it needed some things like a new battery, discs, pads etc. It’s taken a while to find the part, and then time to wrench. I was able to do a little bit of wrenching today, and made some nice progress.

To work on the bike I ordered a front stand, and borrowed a rear one from a friend. The rear one couldn’t lift the real wheel off the ground.
For the front stand I ordered it last month, but it was damaged in shipping. Took them nearly a month to send out another one, which as it turns out didn’t arrive in usable shape either. As for the battery I ordered they did’t put packing material under the battery, and it broke through the bottom. It seems to be working, but its life expectancy has likely been reduced.

. . . So I took the Mito over to the local co-op Recycle, and they hooked me up with the tools I needed, and a place in which to wrench. They were very kind, and it was really fun to hang out with moto people again. :inlove:

Here are the old and new pads. Ferodo, again. These are the best pads I’ve found for these bikes.

. .
Then it was a matter of pulling the wheel off, cleaning things up a bit, and fitting them all together. It’s really nice to be wrenching again, but I am so out of practice. Still have the rear disc, front master, new faring bolts, and more—stay tuned! :paw_prints:
2 x