I'm also very excited to finish it and see the result :sunglasses:

1 x

benito brz
Replica: Derbi GPR 50 2003
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Re: Painting

Post by benito brz » Sun May 31, 2020 9:19 am

Hello everyone, i made some progress
The wheels were painted in white but the guy did some mistakes, he breaks all the threads for the discs screws and remove too much steel in the center of the wheels so the "Rolling cages "(not sure of these words, just hope you understand)cant fit and all that because of the sandblasting. I'm waiting for the workshop to find a solution.

I also have a sandblasting machine so i can paint some parts myself but i'm not a pro

1 x

benito brz
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Re: Derbi GPR50 2003 France project

Post by benito brz » Sun May 31, 2020 9:48 am

The wheels were painted but the guy breaks all the threads for the brake discs screws and he remove too much steel in the center of the wheels so the rolling cages cant fit, and all that because of the sandblasting
So the workshop is trying to find a solution

The front brake
I've bought an used master vac but i will clean it and paint it because the old one is damaged

Here is the clutch cable, i will change it

Here is the old master vac

The brake caliper, i will paint it

Lets disassembly the master vac

1 x

benito brz
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Post by benito brz » Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 am

Lets disassembly the brake caliper

This was the first time i had to remove the pistons so i just blow air pressure in the brake caliper until the pistons flies off and destroy a light bulb :-D
And it looks dirty

Before sandblasting

After sandblasting

After painting

1 x

benito brz
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Post by benito brz » Sun May 31, 2020 10:39 am

Some cleaning

1 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Post by jkv357 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am

benito brz wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:19 am
The wheels were painted in white but the guy did some mistakes, he breaks all the threads for the discs screws and remove too much steel in the center of the wheels so the "Rolling cages "(not sure of these words, just hope you understand)cant fit and all that because of the sandblasting. I'm waiting for the workshop to find a solution.

(SNIP)
He blasted enough that the bearings won't stay in? That area doesn't even need to be blasted, as it doesn't have any paint on it.

What did he do to the threads? Chew those up too?

I do powder coating for a living, and strip/blast parts all day long. I've never had an issue with bearing areas or threads getting messed up.

Here are my Derbi wheels -

The bare areas shouldn't be painted or coated.

Post some pictures of the issues if you can. If it's what I think, there isn't any easy permanent solution.

Jay
www.apexcustomcoating.com
1 x

benito brz
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Post by benito brz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 am

jkv357 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am
benito brz wrote:

(SNIP)
He blasted enough that the bearings won't stay in? That area doesn't even need to be blasted, as it doesn't have any paint on it.

I do powder coating for a living, and strip/blast parts all day long. I've never had an issue with bearing areas or threads getting messed up.

Post some pictures of the issues if you can. If it's what I think, there isn't any easy permanent solution.

Jay
Hi jkv
I will post some pictures later because i dont have the wheels for the moment.
Personnaly i didnt notice wrong when i took my wheels after the coating/painting, but i didnt take attention of the threads
Then I left my wheels with the tyres to a motorbike workshop to put on the tyres and the bearings
But the workshop called me after and they said the threads werent here, it was just some holes (maybe because of too much sandblasting in it) so they fixed all of them before i could see them
And for the bare areas i saw they didnt painted in it, but the paint was surrounding the beginning of the bare areas so the bearings cant fit, so the workshop took off the paint at the beginning of the bare areas and they said the bearings wont stay in and they just show this to me.
Maybe the workshop took off too much steel of the bare areas when they wanted to take off the paint
All that is strange for me
Maybe the workshop
lied to hide a mistake they did ,I dont really know
My mistake was just to do not put the bearings in the wheels myself, see what could be wrong and know who made the mistake
I just hope I will not have to buy another wheels :grimacing:
1 x

benito brz
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Post by benito brz » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 am

benito brz wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 am
jkv357 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am
benito brz wrote:

(SNIP)

Jay
Hi jkv
Personnaly i didnt notice wrong when i took my wheels after the coating/painting, but i didnt take attention of the threads
Then I left my wheels with the tyres to a motorbike workshop to put on the tyres and the bearings
But the workshop called me after and they said the threads werent here, it was just some holes (maybe because of too much sandblasting in it) so they fixed all of them before i could see them
And for the bare areas i saw they didnt painted in it, but the paint was surrounding the beginning of the bare areas so the bearings cant fit, so the workshop took off the paint at the beginning of the bare areas and they said the bearings wont stay in and they just show this to me.
Maybe the workshop took off too much steel of the bare areas when they wanted to take off the paint
Maybe the workshop
My mistake was just to do not put the bearings in the wheels myself, see what could be wrong and know who made the mistake
Here is the website of the company who painted my wheels:
https://www.yvelines-sablage.com/
1 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Post by jkv357 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:45 am

benito brz wrote:

Hi jkv
Maybe the workshop
Well...

That description sounds suspect.

It would be very hard to completely remove inside threads even with a large amount of aggressive blasting. Not sure it could even be done. One possibility is they stripped the threads by over-torquing the bolts when installing.

If they used the wrong tool to remove the paint around the bearing areas they could have opened the area up enough that the bearings would not press in tightly. That would be a real rookie mistake.

Once this is resolved I wouldn't go back to the same shop again.

Companies that paint or powder coat wheels should know how to precisely mask critical areas like bearing openings so that type of thing doesn't happen when someone needs to remove paint/powder in a critical area.

The wheels are cast aluminum, so threads will strip easily and material is easy to remove if not careful.

Hope you get it sorted out properly.
1 x

benito brz
Aprilia RS4 125 2014

Post by benito brz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 pm

jkv357 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:45 am
benito brz wrote:

Hi jkv
Maybe the workshop
Well...

That description sounds suspect.

It would be very hard to completely remove inside threads even with a large amount of aggressive blasting. Not sure it could even be done. One possibility is they stripped the threads by over-torquing the bolts when installing.

If they used the wrong tool to remove the paint around the bearing areas they could have opened the area up enough that the bearings would not press in tightly. That would be a real rookie mistake.

Once this is resolved I wouldn't go back to the same shop again.

Companies that paint or powder coat wheels should know how to precisely mask critical areas like bearing openings so that type of thing doesn't happen when someone needs to remove paint/powder in a critical area.

The wheels are cast aluminum, so threads will strip easily and material is easy to remove if not careful.

Hope you get it sorted out properly.
Thanks jkv for your help
Also the shop didnt had to put on the bolts for the discs because i have the discs and i was supposed to put them myself
1 x