Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP:雨が経た

Post by toratora » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:39 pm

I knew we were to have rain today, but I thought I might be able to get some wrenching in before it came down. I was mistaken!

I did get to take a look at the plug and the wash however before the precipitation arrived. There’s the hint that the tuning is moving in the right direction, as a nice caramel color is forming on the crown of the piston. Still not enough to display little crescent moons, but better than a polished look seen previously.

Sometimes it can be a real challenge to get a proper photo of the plug with a phone. The focus always seems to go to the background! Still with some perseverance it can be accomplished. The plug actually is looking pretty good. Still a little on the rich side, but not too bad. :astonished:

I then started to open up the carb to swap out the slow jet. I didn’t make it very far because the Philips screws securing the float bowl decided that they liked their position. I was able to get one to free up, but the other is going to need the attention of the Lisel, as it started to strip out. :scream_cat:

Then the rain came, and it was time to wrap it up—my kingdom for a garage! :paw_prints:

1 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Re: DRP: Derbi Reactivation Project

Post by jkv357 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Are you running the stock heat range on the plug?
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Plug Range

Post by toratora » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:39 pm

jkv357 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Are you running the stock heat range on the plug?
I almost always run with NGK 9s or 10s in these little bikes. Sometimes I’ll run a 10.5, but that’s not typical.
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Dealing with the Screw

Post by toratora » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:39 pm

The rain let up for a little bit today so I took advantage of this short respite to deal with that stuck screw. It was a bugger too! I knew it was going to be difficult so I started with the Lisle. That was ineffective because I couldn’t hold the carb still, put pressure on the Lisle, turned counter clockwise, and tap it with the hammer.

Then I remembered that I still had the Dewalt. That quickly striped out the screw! Then I got out the chisel and huzzah the screw came free.

Knowing that I would later need to replace this screw I went through the bolt bin. I didn’t have anything of the proper size—apparently they are M3s, and it’s time to do another Bolt Depot order. Since there were no viable replacements in the bin it was time to once again raid the OKO. Seems goofy that I’ve bought a carb, and the only use it has been is to be a donor. Eventually this carb will be fitted to the Monza which currently is a long way out so for now, I suppose, it’s okay to pillage. The funny thing was one of the float bowl screws had previously been harvested for another repair!

While I had the OKO open I took the opportunity to check the installed jets. The main was a 107, and the idle a 45.

With the float bowl now removed I checked the pilot jet. Sure enough it was a stock 45. It also looked a bit haggard considering how new the Polini PWK is on the bike. The next smallest jet in the jet box was a 40, so that was fitted in, and the float bowl as well.

With the carb reassembled it was time to fit it back into the bike. Then the bike was started, and an attempt to set the idle screw took place. From all the way in to many turns out there was no change to be found indicating that a 40 idle screw isn’t correct for this setup. Although the throttle was very crisp.

A test ride is in in order, but by this time it was getting dark, and the roads were still wet. Once again it was time to wrap things up, and wait for the next opportunity. I doubt this will have much effect on the mid-throttle issue. More than likely this will be solved with a needle adjustment of some kind—maybe even a replacement. But this requires finding the needle box! :paw_prints:

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Quad Lock Arrival

Post by toratora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:39 pm

The new Quad Lock action showed up today. Those of you that have been paying attention may have noticed the phone case mysteriously appearing in the recent photos. When my phone was stolen I had to revert to my older phone. Recently I replaced the stolen one, but I didn’t yet have the proper case for it. Thus I was compelled to employ the case from the older phone—which occluded the camera. In order to take full frame photos it was necessary to remove the case. :scream_cat:

Included in the box with the case replacement came the items to set up the drone controller with the Quad Lock quick release mechanism. I knew it wasn’t going to be a perfect fit because the drone controller doesn’t have anything that could be considered a flat surface. But hopefully the way I’ve worked it out will be functional. :monocle:

Previously I used a 1/4-20 screw in RAM mount 1" ball. This functioned well, but was laborious to remove, and difficult to do quickly. The Quad Lock system allows for very quick removal. With the screw in unit removed, and the controller cleaned the universal mount was put in place. The mount is somewhat flexible to curve over the shapes. Unlike GoPro mounts the 3M adhesives was very thin, making it a little more challenging to smooth over the curves. Had I realized this sooner I probably would have used some GoPro mounting adhesives to fill in the gaps. :idea:

The instructions didn’t say how long to allow the adhesive to cure. With the GoPros and Contours they clearly state to wait 24 hours before use. I’ve got some painters tape in play to help keep the curved areas in place. Hopefully this will allow the adhesive to cure properly, and keep the curved sections attached. :paw_prints:

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi Reactivation Project: Quad Lock Colors

Post by toratora » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 am

Quad Lock recently came up with some different color levers for their mounts. Since the theme with most of my bikes includes red I was really pleased with this option. Swapping out the leaver is relatively simple.

First step is to remove the bolt. Then the lever can be opened which will allow the spring to come out. Closing the lever then allows it to be pulled from the main unit.

With the unit apart then new lever can be installed. First push the lever back into the main unit. Then open it up so that the spring can be set into place. With the spring installed close the lever so that the disc can be fitted. With the disc in place the bolt can be inserted and tightened up.

With the new lever in place it was time to test it with the controller. I’ve also added more mounting tape to provide a better purchase. One thing I’ve noticed with the universal mount is that it is more difficult to mount and remove than one of the iPhone cases. I’m not sure the reason for this—it was this way even before it was mounted to the controller. It could have to do with the softer materials, but again I’m really not sure. Even still it is now working quite nicely, and it looks even better. :paw_prints:

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi Reactivation Project: Photos

Post by toratora » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 pm

I haven’t forgotten about this bike. Life just has a way of removing opportunities to work on all of the things you want.
3 x

Berkeley

Re: Derbi Reactivation Project: Quad Lock Colors

Post by Berkeley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:19 am

thanks tora, for showing this product.. Im ordering one cheers
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi Reactivation Project: The White Tank

Post by toratora » Sat May 18, 2019 1:39 am

After much effort, expense, and time the white tank has finally arrived!

It is finally possible to see how it’s going to look.
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi Reactivation Project: Ignore List

Post by toratora » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:39 pm

While it may seem that this bike is on my ignore list that would be a grave mistake to assume! :scream_cat:

The EasyParts order showed up with lots of fun stuff for the various bikes, and a red seat for the DRP!! :heart_eyes_cat:

Brake parts, suspension parts, gaskets, mirrors, and more! :ghost:

And a little something for me too! :paw_prints:
2 x