Support GPR Camp!!

New Derbi GPR Project??

Create a thread about your bike.
Berkeley

New Derbi GPR Project??

Post by Berkeley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Soon the RS4 50 will be coming to and end as to the mods that I want to do on her. On the RSV4 theres just some cosmetic stuff, and a change of the exhaust, so not a lot there to modify unless I want to spend 1000's on wheels, better suspension etc.

So waking up and getting twitchy fingers I'm thinking about the next bike.

This 50 would be for me or maybe the missus??? hummmm that got me thinking? I want to try to max out the performance and see whats possible as theres no immediate rush to get it completed.

I'm just starting to look for contenders at the moment and seeing what's out there....

Theres a really nice GPR 2013 model, which cosmetically looks awesome but the mechanical side sucks, so a complete engine rebuild is in order.

Or theres something like this which is an earlier 2003 model. She's in rough cosmetic shape and has a 70cc kit etc installed on her but at a fraction of the cost.

Would be great to get some feedback as to what to go for and some pointers for availability of parts for older bikes or years to avoid etc.

Cheers Guys
Last edited by Berkeley on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Identify

Post by toratora » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm

2008 Di Meglio Replica
Well let’s start off with cleaning up the data. The first one is a 2008 Di Meglio Replica, the second one is a 2006. We know it’s a 2006 because it has a Euro3 engine in it. We can also tell from the state of the plastics, and the seats that this bike hasn’t been the subject of any love in quite a lengthly amount of time. That should be enough of a reason to go for the Di Meglio Replica.

Engine top ends are relatively inexpensive, and available from third parties. Plastics cost a lot, and really only have one source—which is fairly dried up by now. Sometimes you can find NOS on eBay, and a few other shops, but for the most part it is damn difficult to get nice plastics. Also, see those fancy mirrors that are the same as found on high end Bimotos? Yeah they cost like they are Bimoto mirrors too. That’s why you don’t see them on my 2005 GPR. Mine were damaged by inconsiderate assholes, and I don’t have the cash to replace them. The 08 bike in the photo still has its mirrors, and they look to be in good condition.

2006 Derbi GPR
Another thing: considering the condition of the exterior of the 06 what would lead us to believe that the guy took better care of the engine? Absolutely nothing. Which means that fancy top end is probably nothing more than a paper weight.

Now there’s no guarantee that the 2008 bike is going to be much better. I can see signs of neglect on it too. But we can also see that it has the solo pillion piece on the tail section. These are rather difficult to source. Yes I do know of a source, but still this bike already has the piece installed. :paw_prints:
2 x

Berkeley

Re: New Derbi GPR Project??

Post by Berkeley » Wed May 01, 2019 12:05 am

Cheers tora,

The 08 Model is advertised as 2013, so was it still produced up until 13, or is this a mistake by the seller? The 06 was taking offers at 300 euros whist the '08' is at 1,500 euros.

So as a rule of thumb Plastics are the hard to get and expensive , where as the mechanics are easier to source.

I will look into older Aprilias as well, maybe the parts esp the plastics are easier to come by??

How about any of the 125's, Is it worth looking at them? or not easy to get upgraded parts ie more powerful top ends, or why bother?? and I take it that everyone on here is a 2 stroke die hard?

I also looked at the classic 250 and 500 2 stokes as these look quite fun machines to drive as well.

Thanks

Berks
1 x

toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Derbi Pedigree

Post by toratora » Wed May 01, 2019 3:39 pm

I do need to put some more effort into my GPR Evolution post. Apologies for its current incompleteness. There’s a decent amount of information right up to this point, but then only photos. The Benelii framed GPRs (like the ones you are checking out) were around from 2005-2009. Then in 2010 (sort of) they switched to the RS50 frame, and became what is basically like Amaya’s bike. Those ended in 2014.

The RS50/RS4 became the same bike as the Derbi in 2006. There were changes to the plastics and the clocks, but that's about it. You can see a fairly complete listing of the liveries of the aluminum framed RS50s here on GPR Camp. There are still some gaps, but most of them are represented.

Lots of idiots will register bikes as the wrong year for a number of reasons. But if you were to check the vin on the bike it will probably tell you the actual year it was made. Also, it is important to note that in general bikes and cars come out in the fall the year before the model year of the vehicle. It doesn’t always happen this way, but it does happen a lot! So a 2005 model year could be sold and registered as a 2004 bike/car.

Some engine parts, like top ends, can be very easy to find. Other parts may prove harder to find. But with older bikes plastics can be very difficult to source. Sometimes you can find reproductions made in China, but that’s rather rare for the little bikes. One exception being the Aprilia RS125 2T.

The 2T 125 bikes are in a whole different world than the 50s. They are great bikes. I have a Mito and it is an amazing machine. I actually have more fun riding the smaller bikes mostly due to not having a legal place to really get on the 125. Hard as it may be to believe a 125 has enough power to become just as illegal to ride as a liter bike.

There is one decent aftermarket 150cc kit for the RS125 and the Mito. I bought one, installed it, didn’t like it, and went back to one of the stock Mito kits.

While I haven’t ridden the 4T versions of these bikes I have a hard time imagining that they would be more fun than the 2T versions. I did almost go for a 4T version in Japan, but was able to source a 2T bike, and thus didn’t go for the 4T. I did look into the aftermarket kits for them, and there are a number of options. More money, and more effort to install than a 2T upgrade.

I should also mention that the 2002-2003/4 Derbi GPR with the 17" wheels is an amazing bike (The 16" bikes are great too, but it is now difficult to source proper tires). These can be had for dirt in Europe, and they are one of my absolute favorite bikes to ride. These bikes are truly worthy of the attention of anyone looking for a legitimate cornering machine. :paw_prints:

3 x

Berkeley

Re: New Derbi GPR Project??

Post by Berkeley » Wed May 01, 2019 8:25 pm

Thank for your invaluable grey matter on this subject!! A great mind to pick cheers!!!!. :monocle:
1 x