Support GPR Camp!!

1999 RS50 Left Sitting Under a Tarp Project

Create a thread about your bike.
chadzilla1

1999 RS50 Left Sitting Under a Tarp Project

Post by chadzilla1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Nine years ago a friend of mine in Miami Beach sold me his 1999 RS50. The bike wasn't in great shape, it had been down once, and the windscreen was broken. Once purchased for $800 I had to get a new windscreen, clutch lever, throttle cable. I grew up racing motocross 80cc, 125cc, and 250cc and have been riding a bike since I was 7 years old. Once I became an adult I had two RZ 350's, one was red and white Kenny Roberts in great shape and I had a full race full fairing 380cc big bore that was insanely fast. I rode those for most of the 90's and sold them and now kicking myself in the ass for selling those since prices have gone through the roof. In the 90's I followed 2t bike like RGV250's, TZR's, NSR 250's, and Aprilia RS250 later on. I've always been into 2t only, the smell of two stroke oil, the power band explosive power of two strokes. So nine years ago I wanted another two stroke but didn't have the money for another RZ350. So I bought this RS50 for shits and giggles to have fun listing to the two stroke sound. I knew this thing would never be for riding on the highway but just to get around Miami Beach putting around.

I enjoyed the bike for 7 months, and then I seized the engine :-( from South Beach to Downtown is a long stretch, speed limit is 45 but everyone drives 65. One day I was going across, and had it wide open for 5 miles at 60mph and at the end almost as I was about to get off the road it seized on me :cry: I found an engine on ebay with only 5,000 miles for $500. At this time I had met a girl that lived out of state and I decided to move to NYC. I found a guy that was supposed to be great with two strokes and sent my bike there and the engine.

This is where the story starts on the long storage. This mechanic got my engine, and said he was busy over and over and I was in NYC and kind of was like ok I’m not in a rush anyways. Well this lasted for 2 yrs, he stopped taking my calls and I had no idea what happened to my bike. I finally paid a friend to drive there with a truck without letting him know. Luckily the bike was still there but in back with crap laying all over it, and in bad shape. My buddy paid him for the engine installation, and took my bike to my dads in Jupiter FL. There it sat under a tarp for 5 yrs with the humid rainy conditions of Florida. Needless to say the bike went down hill from there over the yrs. Jump forward five years, and I was no longer with my girl and I decided to come back to Miami. I called my dad up, and said ok I'm ready to get my bike. He laughed, and said I think you need to sell it I doubt you will ever get this running again, and it's not worth the time and money.

For the last two years I've been buying parts from AF1 and eBay UK to get this bike where it is today, and a lot of money. I'll show you what it looked like and what it looks like now and all the things I've done to it, and still looking to do to it.
2 x