Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

2018 Aprilia RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project: The Öhlins Contingency

Post by toratora » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Berkeley wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 am
yes very much so... but I dont want to have to go through the ball ache of what you had to do to your to get it to fit thanks ;)
What I did on my 2005 DRP bike was exercise my Macgyver skill set. For the Red Rocket (the bike like yours) I contacted Piaggio, got the specs for the shock, and found an Öhlins office that will build a shock. I had this all lined up for the Red Rocket, and then ran out of time. It's still something I intend to follow up once the resources become available. ;)

The big difference between the two is having over a decade of direct knowledge with regards to these bikes. I didn't have the resources in 2012 that I have today. 8-)
0 x

Berkeley

Re: 2018 RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project: The Öhlins Contingency

Post by Berkeley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:53 am

toratora wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:47 pm
Berkeley wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:49 am
yes very much so... but I dont want to have to go through the ball ache of what you had to do to your to get it to fit thanks ;)
What I did on my 2005 DRP bike was exercise my Macgyver skill set. For the Red Rocket (the bike like yours) I contacted Piaggio, got the specs for the shock, and found an Öhlins office that will build a shock. I had this all lined up for the Red Rocket, and then ran out of time. It's still something I intend to follow up once the resources become available. ;)

The big difference between the two is having over a decade of direct knowledge with regards to these bikes. I didn't have the resources in 2012 that I have today. 8-)
Ok will give it a go.. i think ill have to make many calls to get this to happen.. im very doubtful this will be an easy task!
0 x

Berkeley

Re: 2018 RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project

Post by Berkeley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 am

So a week before the rest of the parts for the frame sliders will arrive.. this happened! first crash!!.. going a bit too fast around the corner.
Just before that there was a bitch driving a car, flashing lights and her beeping horn as we went zagging up a steep mountain . Amaya was getting used to this type of driving with a lot of gear changes for the bends ...so was taking her time but just after there was a straight where the car could overtake then it happened on the next bend. I'm sure this affected her and still having the pressure to drive fast.

But saying that im glad she had her first crash, it was a nice one sliding out on the gravel and not hitting anything.. so with a bit of skin lost she has learnt a lot by it . :!: The main damage was to the fairing so its only going to hurt my pockets.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

2018 RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project: Become One with the Leather.

Post by toratora » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:29 pm

I do hope she is okay. This is exactly why I said previously to get her all leathered up. We riders cannot control what the cagers are going to do. We can be as aware as possible, and train to deal with them, but even super skilled experienced riders can be caught out by the cagers.

I also suggest taking a cue from our two wheeled brethren on the bicycles. Dress ostentatiously. Wear bright colors. Sure black leather looks cool as fuck. That's why Adam Ant was always singing about it. But bright gear will save you from the pain. A bright helmet is by far the best active safety device you can get. It is the most visible object within the bike/rider combination, because it is the highest point, always moving around, and very rarely occluded by other parts of the rider/bike. To paraphrase Sun Tzu the best collision is no collision. Which is to say if you can avoid a crash by wearing a bright helmet/gear, then shouldn't you be wearing a bright helmet/gear?

As for the Öhlins if you want to go that way I'll contact my source for you. ;) He's already got the specs, really the only factor is money—I've already done all the other organizing work.
1 x

Berkeley

Post by Berkeley » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Yeah pls hook me up with your source.. I did send some emails last night to Aprilia/ piaggio to ask for info.. but if ur guy can do it then great. May have to wait untill next month to do it as I'm sure this fix won't be cheap. She is fine ...just a little sore.. everyone's got to crash sometime and a lot was learnt especially when they never think that it will happen and the consequences .. so a good learning curve. ;) all ok in the scheme of things
1 x

Berkeley

Post by Berkeley » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi guys, im still waiting for a load of new parts to fix the bike up with so in the mean time did a few more things

Upgraded the brake pads to brembos, This was a nightmare as a few companies said that it was not possible for my bike, luckily the guys at AR Racing were clued up and got some for £50.00 .

The sintered brembos looked much better, I think AR racing had to look up ones for an RS125 2012 model

potatoes work well!!

It took about 10 mins to take of and put back the front brakes, but the rear one over an hour, finally cracked it .. its just the sequencing that you have to get right

there has to be a better way of joining the pipe to the brakes, having to align the hole of the bolt to to the pipe is nuts.

I also repainted the calipers red and added an exhaust protector for £30.00 from R&G Racing, the protector was for an Arrow Round 125cc / Scorpion RP-1 GP but it fitted.
I messed up a few times painting it then i found out about the oven.. makes all the difference!

I then replaced the master brake cylinder with brembo 14 and added a rizoma reservoir for around 400 euros, this was via Omniracing

Last edited by Berkeley on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Berkeley

Re: 2018 Aprilia RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project

Post by Berkeley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:11 am

Front Frame slider spools

Unfortunately this was a few weeks too late as the crash chipped a part of the wheel.. but nothing fitted and was looking for the option that would work. So decided to drill and cut some holes in the wheel spindle, then fitted some M6 cotton reels for a RS4 125 which were reasonable at £20.00 via R&G racing.

The tapping tool was pretty useless and took a few goes to get it right ( after breaking one) PS dont ever look for the correct tool in france .. impossible even when they say online that it will be in stock

\

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

2018 Aprilia RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project: Attaboy

Post by toratora » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 pm

It's really looking fantastic. Very fun to track your progress. :)

I got back it touched with the Öhlins people. I'll be sending out an email about it soon.

Do you have a part number for those Brembo pads?
1 x

kaldis12

2018 Aprilia RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project: Painting

Post by kaldis12 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 pm

What kinda paint did you use for the caliper? Also pretty good thread you have here, keep it goin' :D
0 x

Berkeley

Re: 2018 Aprilia RS4 50 Euro 4 Upgrade Project: Attaboy

Post by Berkeley » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:38 pm

toratora wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 pm
It's really looking fantastic. Very fun to track your progress. :)

I got back it touched with the Öhlins people. I'll be sending out an email about it soon.

Do you have a part number for those Brembo pads?
Cheers Tora, looking out for your email.. any suggestions for the front forks too?

The Pads for the AJP Caliper are below:
07BB1535 for the front and 07KA0717 for the rear thanks

Last edited by Berkeley on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x