Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Resources

Post by toratora » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:39 am

kaldis12 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 pm
Do you just keep your bikes outside on the street?
I don’t have a garage. For a while I was renting a storage unit, but I had to give that up last year.
Berkeley wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 am
jkv357 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am
Dam tora - if it ain't dumbass drivers trying to park it's the wind knocking over your bikes!

Nowhere protected that you could keep it? Doesn't take up much room...
wow!! again. this would do my nut in! I would just park them in the living room and deal with the miss's complaining lol!
In life we are faced with many challenges. I have tried to bring bikes up the stairs previously, and it’s just beyond my ability.
1 x

kaldis12

Re: Derbi—The Red Power

Post by kaldis12 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Arent you afraid that someone is gonna steal your bikes or something? If i would have left my bike outside for like an hour it would have been disappeared.
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Concerns

Post by toratora » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:39 pm

It is of course a concern so I do what I can which includes locks, alarms, pagers, surveillance systems, etc., and good insurance. Outside of that the choice would be not to have bikes, and what kind of a choice is that really? Even if you have a garage though they can still get your bikes. Parking on the street has other hazards like idiots running them over, the wind tossing them around, rain and fog causing oxidation. Those things are usually a bigger concern. :paw_prints:
0 x

kaldis12

Post by kaldis12 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:56 am

Wish you good luck :)
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Stumped

Post by toratora » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Yeah I’m a bit stumped. It’s got spark, fuel, and compression. The only thing that I can think of is the the timing is off, but it’s not even trying to start.

There is some slight scoring, but this cylinder has about the same compression as in the PMPR bike. :paw_prints:

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Engine Cobbling

Post by toratora » Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 pm

In order to get some of the bikes running I’ve had to resort to cobbling engines together from what is laying around. There are two EBE075 engines that are both broken. One with a good top end, and one with a serviceable bottom end. I figured for now I can use parts from the two of them, and get something to work that can go into the Malossi bike.

The bottom end seemed like a good place to start. The problem with it is that the paint was bubbling up all over the engine, and where the paint had come off the engine was suffering fairly problematic corrosion. Which means it needs to be repainted. I don’t really have the proper resources for doing it properly so I’ll just have to muddle through. First by cleaning it up.

I had some paint remover left over from working on the wheels of the DRP. This stuff is quite nasty, and will eat through gloves. It does a decent job of removing most of the paint if it is clean, but it takes an iterative process. Paint on the remover, let it bubble up, scrape it off with various tools, repeat. You can also rinse with water—which helps to see the actual progress.

Progress is being made, but it takes a really long time with this process. :paw_prints:
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Lots of Effort, Very little Progress

Post by toratora » Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Lots of effort, with very little to show for it. For the last two days I’ve been working on removing the paint from these cases. Everyday more and more comes off, but still there’s so much more work to accomplish.

It’s clear to see the progress happening, and it’s also clear to see that there’s so much more to do.

The little nooks and crannies are the most difficult, because it hard to get any of the tools in there to do anything. I think I’m also going to have to pull the flywheel, and ignition to do a proper job of it. :paw_prints:
1 x

Berkeley

Post by Berkeley » Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 am

Would sand blasting be any good,?even just getting a small portable kit instead of sending it away?
0 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Post by jkv357 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 am

Berkeley wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 am
Would sand blasting be any good,?even just getting a small portable kit instead of sending it away?
I can answer that one...

Media blasting with the appropriate media (not sand), after chemically stripping any thick or strong coating, is the way to go to remove any remaining coating and corrosion. That takes complete disassembly of the engine and removal of all seals/bearings etc. The chances of getting media inside the engine is too great to risk any type of blasting when assembled. Walnut Shells is the only thing I've seen recommended for assembled engines, but that's going to be more of a moderate cleaning than stripping and isn't going to remove any corrosion.

I've done complete engines (RD350, HD Twin Cams, Mazda Rotary) that were completely disassembled without any issues - there's just a lot of masking required.

I had a new customer come in the other day that said he had talked to me a year ago about blasting a complete assembled cycle engine, and I declined. He had it blasted elsewhere, and after running for a short time found blasting media in the oil. He junked the engine.

Jay
www.apexcustomcoating.com
2 x

Berkeley

Post by Berkeley » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Ok cool...good to know.

How about laser removal?

https://youtu.be/ACGSzBXKONo
This seems to remove all unwanted surface finishes.. quite expensive but there must be companies renting this out?

Anyway just an idea.
0 x