Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Rotating Mass II

Post by toratora » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Okay part two of this process starting with another photo of the broken crank. Then the carb was freed up, and the oil pump removed from the engine. These can stay connected as once they are disconnected they wont really hinder engine removal.

Pulling the hose off the water pump affords bleeding of the remaining coolant. I'm rather impressed by how far this hose as split.

In order to pull the engine the pipe requires removal. This Arrow pipe employs a short header, which must also be removed to have enough room to snake the engine out of the chassis.

Strictly speaking the chain didn’t need to be removed, but I’m going to have to push the bike around, and this will keep the chain from damaging the frame, and later I’ll probably clean and condition the chain. And while there the ground strap was removed from the engine.

There are some tools that make engine removal a lot easier. The swing arm spindle gets loosened, but to do so two thin walled 22mm sockets are necessary. Now ordinarily one would not use a torque wrench as a breaker bar, but this particularly torque wrench was abused by the previous owner who turned it into a nice breaker bar/ratchet. :paw_prints:

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Rotating Mass III

Post by toratora » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 pm

And now part three—removal of the engine. Once everything was disconnected it was time to pull the engine out of the chassis. The front mount was in there very tight. It was very difficult to get it to come free. By rocking the engine and pulling up it eventually gave way.

The next step is usually a little strenuous, but not really hard. This time it was different. I’ve never had so much trouble removing an engine from a GPR. It might be because the EBE075 and the Second Edition chassis has some incompatibility. Eventually by removing the starter, intake, and a lot of effort the engine came out.

With the failed petcock fuel was able to make it to the crankcase, and totally fill it up. The carb while new is going to need inspection since it too allowed the fuel to make it into the crankcase.

There are a number of issues to be addressed under the tail section. The petcock obviously needs to be replaced, and a number of repairs should be applied to the tail section—so off it came. There was also a reminder to check your vehicles for creatures that decide to call them home.

And with that enough wrenching for the day had occurred, and it was time to clean up. :paw_prints:

1 x

kaldis12

Derbi—The Red Power

Post by kaldis12 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Whoah a crank failure is not that good at all. You could try to make or buy an electronic for it. If I remember they make one for these type of ignition. Ypu just hook it up to your clutch master switch and between you pickup positive line. When you pull the clutch in above 4k rpm or whatever the ignjtion cuts out. Pretty easy job to increase a bit cranklife.
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Happy Valentines Day!!

Post by toratora » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 am

Last night the wind blew the cover off of the Malossi bike. The cover is locked to the bike to prevent cover theft. With the wind blowing the cover became a sail pulling over the bike. Thankfully most of the plastics were off of the bike so only a few things were damaged. :paw_prints:

0 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Re: Derbi—The Red Power

Post by jkv357 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

Dam tora - if it ain't dumbass drivers trying to park it's the wind knocking over your bikes!

Nowhere protected that you could keep it? Doesn't take up much room...
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Post by toratora » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 pm

jkv357 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am
Dam tora - if it ain't dumbass drivers trying to park it's the wind knocking over your bikes!

One bike doesn’t, but many bikes, and parts do take up a fairly good chuck of room. I had a storage last year, but had to give it up do to becoming injured. It does really suck to not have a garage for a whole lot of reasons!
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Rotating Mass IV

Post by toratora » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Part four—initial inspection. There was a little bit of time available today for some quick wrenching. So I drained the oil, and pulled off the clutch cover. I found that I was able to shift through all the gears, and the piston moves freely. So I’m rather stumped at this point.

The only thing that seemed a bit out of place is the clutch cover bolt nearest where the shift shaft mates up on the clutch side was bent. I have no idea how that bolt could have been bent outside of in the engine, and in the engine maybe if the shift shaft somehow got slammed into the case causing the transmission to lock up and put a massive amount of force on the cover. But then for sure it would have leaked and there was no evidence of a leak there, so I really have my doubts. I will have to perform a much deeper inspection. And since the crank is broken the cases will need to come apart to move this engine forward. :paw_prints:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Spring Showers

Post by toratora » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:39 pm

I was out working on the Silver bike today in preparation for GPR Camp. There’s a number of things on the bike that I would like to address. But first it needs a good cleaning from the winter abuse. Things were going well as I was progressing through the wheel cleaning. RD had called me up to chat about JL’s 85 that he had just got running. While we were talking he exasperated how suddenly his place was drenched with rain. I looked at the sky, and saw this huge storm cloud on the way. It was everything I could do to get the bikes covered, and gear back in the house! :paw_prints:

0 x

kaldis12

Post by kaldis12 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Do you just keep your bikes outside on the street?
0 x

Berkeley

Post by Berkeley » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 am

jkv357 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

wow!! again. this would do my nut in! I would just park them in the living room and deal with the miss's complaining lol!
0 x