Support GPR Camp!!

Front fork rebuild trick

Discuss technical information.
grunbay

Front fork rebuild trick

Post by grunbay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:05 pm

I am trying to rebuild the Showa forks on my GPR. The bolt head that holds the large washer onto the central rod just spins. Is there a trick to holding that rod? I removed the 8mm bolts at the bottom of the forks and was surprised that the spring/damper unit did not come out. does anyone have any advice on getting these suckers apart?

Also, I want to re-spring these for road racing (usually a bit stiffer than street). Where can I source the springs?

After I'm done with the Showa forks on my 2000, I'm gonna tackle the Sebac forks on my 2003. No doubt I'll have the same questions on the Sebacs!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
0 x

grunbay

Re: Front fork rebuild trick

Post by grunbay » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:40 pm

I figured it out - a bit more neanderthal than I prefer - I wedged a needle-nosed vice grip under the spring and gripped the damper rod.

New springs on order from Race Tech.
0 x

toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Re: Front fork rebuild trick

Post by toratora » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Hey sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had some adventuring to do this weekend.

There are actually several fork rebuild photos, and accounts in my projects, and ones I've worked on. Pretty much anything you'd want to do to a GPR is probably in one of those threads. Eventually, I'll get around to turning them into tutorials like I have with other subjects. The search feature on this site works fairly well too. Here's a decent link to some info on forking around.

Basically you need a nematic impact driver. Battery/electric ones work too, but not nearly as well. There is a hole in the shaft in which you can place something to hold the rod, but things employed in this fashion tend to be bent.

What did Race Tech suggest?
0 x