Support GPR Camp!!

Carbon/Magnesium Wheels

Discuss technical information.
Berkeley

Carbon/Magnesium Wheels

Post by Berkeley » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Hey guys there's been a lot of programs on 'tv' about using lighter wheels and with some saying what a difference it makes..

The closest I can find are from BST on an GP 125. I think these should fit on an 2018 rs4 50.

http://blackstonetek.com/bst-best-carbo ... n/aprilia/

The thought of putting wheels on a bike that cost half the price of the original seems a bit much and wondered if the difference would be that noticeable concidering these bikes are light enough for flipping around corners anyway.

Would anyone consider putting a wider wheel on the back If so what size would it take? I did see the posts on adding just a wider tyre to the standard size wheel which is not advised

Cheers ..look forward to your comments
0 x

toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Carbon/Magnesium Wheels: Does my ass look fat in these wheels?

Post by toratora » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm

The older GPRs have skinnier wheels than the current bikes. The older bikes are more responsive than the current bikes, and it is my belief that it is because of the skinnier wheels. The only reason to go to wider wheels is LOTS more power, and LOTS more weight. Other than that they are a liability.

As for carbon, there's no way I would run carbon on the street. Magnesium has to regularly be checked for cracks, and thus not a good street wheel either. There are other lighter wheels about, but what would be a way better use of money would be getting some professional training. In Europe there are lots of riding academies for young riders. The nice thing about becoming a better rider is that it will go with you to every bike in the future. Lighter wheels wont.

Now good tires I can get behind, such as the Sava MC50 which is a great tire for these bikes.
0 x