Discuss technical information.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Polini Race Ignition with an Accessories Circuit

Post by toratora » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 pm

At just under $500 Polini has brought to market an interesting ignition for those wanting performance with an 80 watt accessories circuit—you know to run lights, pumps, and such. Most likely based on their similar competition digital ignition (part #171.0542), this accessories enabled race ignition (part #171.0532, 171.0533) is available for both the AM6, and Derbi engines.

The Polini features a novel axial magnet system. This allows them to create a tiny package. However, because the spacing between the coils and the magnets is critical Polini includes a number of spacing shims to ensure the ability to achieve the correct specification.
There is another interesting feature here, that being the external pickup. This my dear reader indicates to me the possibility of this ignition being able the work with the Zeel Electronic programable system. Most ignition systems I've found for these engines haven't included this feature.

There is a bit of a concern with this ignition working with the Derbi Euro3 engines featuring the counter balancer, since it sits external, and in the ignition area.

Another convenient, and very welcome feature is the ability to minutely rotate the stator on the mounting plate. This allows for accommodating a huge number of potential placements, ensuring the likelihood of a proper installation.

Of course there are unanswered questions. For instance what is the curve? Will it work with a balancer in the Euro3 engine? These sorts of questions currently go unanswered. The available documentation provides no clues, and these ignitions show up as blank pages on the Polini website.

Obviously there is no starter ring, but everyone around here should be quite well educated on the benefits of the GP Start. External weights, and fans can be added. Fans are mostly important to the air cooled crowd, but it's good to know that the engineers have given proper thought to all implementations.

Polini has once again gotten us drooling at the notion of their new kit. Hopefully we'll soon find out the answers to those important questions that we must know in order to make a proper purchasing decision. Until then we wait with bated breath.
1 x

kaldis12

Re: Polini Race Ignition with an Accessories Circuit

Post by kaldis12 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 pm

I wasn't able to find any info about it. Its a mistery what it could do. Maybe better than inner rotors maybe not.
0 x

Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 am

For a daily driver, the "benefits" of GP start might not carry enough weight...pun intended.

D Dave
1 x

kaldis12

Post by kaldis12 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 am

https://youtu.be/9FpTcscwf_s
Found a video about it. It doesn't really sounds too sharp. Inner rotors are waay sharper. At least my selettra. It can also keep a lower rpm.
1 x

Dangerous Dave

Post by Dangerous Dave » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 pm

What about this one from Maxiscoot that's digital and cost far less?
https://www.maxiscoot.com/mvt-internal- ... d11-3.html

D Dave
0 x

kaldis12

Post by kaldis12 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:57 pm

The mvt what you mentioned is inner rotor and the polini is an outer rotor ignition.
0 x

toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Polini Race Ignition with an Accessories Circuit: Amps and Curves?

Post by toratora » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 pm

The Polini is really quite a bit different, because it's an axial design. This is radically different than the previous designs. It's neither an inner, nor an outer design. It does achieve the lower mass of the inner rotors allowing for quicker spin up. It's really a very clever design.

As for the MVT I've not seen the curve, nor the output amps for the accessories circuit for it, and as you pointed out about the Polini, the MVT also would not allow the use of the electric starter. But for the most part it is a older style design, and in that way wouldn't really compare to the Polini—once we know the curve, and accessory power output. Another huge advantage of the Polini is that it has an external pickup, and might be possible to employ with the Zeel, which the MVT wouldn't be able to do.

Okay I've found a site that claims the Polini puts out 80 watts. That's 15 more than HPI claims for their mini rotor 210 system, and 20 less than a Power Dynamo for a Puch moped engine (Puch mopeds, and Derbi GPR/Senda engines share the same taper, so the ignitions are somewhat interchangeable). In most cases 80 watts would be enough to run the lights, and clocks. The same site lists the newer D50B0 Euro3 engine as compatible, but doesn't clarify the ability to work with the balancer. The stock stator mounting plate does have a cutout for the balancer.

0 x

kaldis12

Post by kaldis12 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Hmm interesting, its a realls weird design thats for sure. I would really love to try one out. Just a littlebit overpriced and we dont know anything about it.
0 x